Thursday, January 14, 2010

What Does it Mean to Be Human?

I want to begin again. No, not start over and destroy what I've accomplished, but to come to an understanding of just who I am, what I have become. I have found out where my “home” is. That discovery has meant so much to me. I no longer feel like a stranger in my own skin. I feel like a new creature with eyes open for the first time. My entire concept of who I am has changed. I can't quite explain it in all its entirety because I don't understand it. Now I want to better understand what that means. So I want to explore, essentially, what it means to be human.

That's the direction that I want to go with this blog. I want to come to an understanding of what it means to be human in this day and age with all the circumstances that surround me. I don't want to just let life affect me but I want to understand it and seize upon the chances that are given me. As is no surprise, I don't know where this will take me, but I want to go and give it a try and find out for myself. I hope to make my life a journey of self-discovery and come to an understanding of how the world truly functions.

But first things first, of course! I'm still a student at a school that would prefer for me to not express the core aspects of my being (being gay and exploring the philosophies and arguments of atheism). So, I must define myself accordingly and shield those vulnerable spots from those individuals and institutions that would seek to do harm to me. How am I to do this? Well, I would simply maintain this identity that exists online and keep it hidden from all those know me personally. There may come a time when I will reveal this to them and they can then read all that I have written during my time here. But that is in the distant future.

No comments:

Post a Comment