Thursday, January 14, 2010

Respect for Parents

When I was a child and teenager, I walked in both the literal and figurative footsteps of my parents. It times it seemed so easy to do so. I have never been one to defy authority (I may joke and tease but never defy) and that view followed naturally with my relationship with my parents. The only form of rebellion that I displayed towards my parents was in my laziness and apathy. But that is a story for another time. I was in line with parents religiously, politically, and socially. I agreed with them on virtually every level...

Like all things, I have changed since my childhood days. I no longer find solace or truth in the faith that my parents cherish and derive their worldview from. My political views have pulled me towards the opposite side of the spectrum in an area that stands in opposition to my parents' vision of the way things should be in a perfect world. Lastly, my social views have changed to become a strange bending and twisting of beliefs that my parents refuse to accept. Such seemingly chasm-like separation has left us on shaky grounds. There is a sense that this altering of beliefs may somehow fundamentally alter how we see each other and even our very relationship with each other.

Over the past year I have felt a growing sense of resentment towards my parents and all that they hold dear and true. That resentment has taken the form of mockery, sarcasm, and an almost nagging insistence that they acknowledge my views as legitimate. In all this time, I have been performing a self-centered focus on me. Never once have I acknowledged, until now, that my parents are right (or wrong) in their beliefs. I believe that they have earned the right a long time ago to have their opinions respected and to be listened to even if I do not agree with them. More importantly, I must accept the reality that they are human and not perfect just as I am most certainly not. I cannot hold their faults over their heads but must let things go and accept them for who they are. Not only accept, but love them.

They have the right to believe what they believe. That belief is something I must respect no matter how much I may disagree. After all, my disagreeing with their views on things does not justify disrespect, mocking of their beliefs, or ignoring what they have to say. If I wish for them to respect me and treat me like an adult, I must first do the same towards them.

I love my parents and always have. My views on things change nothing about how I feel towards them. But I must certainly give my parents the respect and dignity they have earned. I must put how I feel into actions and deeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment