Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Someday

"When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I man known" (1 Corinthians 13:11-12). These are verses that follow after Paul's words on charity. It is my hope that the sentiments that he expressed will be the same as those that persecute, harass, and hate people like me. My heart is filled with anger and it is constantly directed at these people that hate me.

But I choose to change my heart now. Why should I waste my energy on people that wish to hate me? No amount of my hatred will change their views. They will still continue to portray gays and lesbians as child molesters or are the products of being molested as children, rapists, abusers, compulsively promiscuous, and are the products of a delusional and warped mind. I will no longer carry hatred toward those that express their insecurities and hatred in acts of violence, terror, and hate-filled words.

We are all humans. I am and so are the ones that express hatred towards people like me. Whether our origin is divine or natural, we are still all related. We are members of the same species and share a common ancestry. We have the power to decide our own destiny. We can overcome misery, suffering, and hatred to achieve a peace that transcends the simplistic view we hold now in defining it as the absence of war.

That is my hope. I have only one last scripture to share (again taken from the Bible), "Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the Lord thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee" (Deuteronomy 31:6).

No comments:

Post a Comment